Skip to main content

Paul Weller In Swindon - Review & Pics!

Weller Wonderland For Modfather Fans!

Thursday 19th March 2009
A JAM-packed Oasis audience were given an offer they couldn’t refuse by the Modfather, Paul Weller.

The veteran singer-song-writer and former frontman of The Jam and The Style Council attracted a sell-out crowd for the gig last night.

In a mixture of well-hummed anthems and material from his latest album, 22 Dreams, Weller belted out an energetic set that was well-received by his fans in Swindon.

Thanking his audience, as the strains of his opening crowd-pleaser, Peacock Suit, faded out, Weller expressed his admiration for the venue, quipping: “Nice sports hall”.

But for the most part Weller let the music do the talking as he and his band rattled through tracks covering his 30-odd year career.

Weller, supported by Northampton-based rockers, The Ladders, is clearly a draw, attracting fans from as far away as Cardiff and Worcester.

“This will be the fifth time I’ve seen him,” said Gemma Thomas, 28, from Cardiff.

“This is probably the smallest place I’ve seen him play but there was a good atmosphere.

“Everyone was singing along and waving their arms. He’s been brilliant every time I’ve seen him. It was well worth the trip.”

Adam Harris, 42, from Abbey Meads, said: “I’ve been a fan for years and I’ve got to say I prefer the older stuff to his new songs but he’s even better than I imagined live. He’s just a legend really and I think it’s great that he’s come to Swindon.”

Tara Gould, 25, from Old Town, agreed, saying: “I think it’s great that we can get big names like him to Swindon, but it seems to happen more and more now. I came to see the Ting Tings the other week and I’m really excited about who will be coming to the Radio One show.

“I thought the concert was great – he’s got so many classic songs and I like his new stuff as well.”

John Stanning, 51, from Pinehurst, said: “I was surprised by how many young people were here – it was a really mixed bag.

“I’ve always been into Paul Weller, right from the days of The Jam, but it’s great to see that he’s got so many younger fans as well.”

By James Wallin
Swindon Advertiser




Photos Courtesy John Rawsthorne




Photos Courtesy Of Darren Larner


Comments

  1. I hope he mixes up the set lists a bit before he gets back to the States. As much as I love being able to see PW twice in a one year period over here, these are very similar to what we got last year.

    Of course, they're always pretty similar. The man has a 30+ year discography; I wish he'd use it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Weller At Westonbirt Arboretum - Set List & Pics!

Courtesy Of Little Miss Funky Soul! Cheers!!

New Unofficial Forum

A new Unofficial Weller chat forum has been created in place of the recently-closed Official Forum. Click below to visit. Have a good week!

Short "22 Dreams" Album Preview At Rolling Stone.com!

Album Preview: Paul Weller Recruits Noel Gallagher, Thunderstorms to Share His “22 Dreams” “You get to this stage in life where you say ‘I’ve done everything that I can do,’” says Paul Weller. As he passes the half-century mark, Weller easily could have returned to his old stomping grounds, whether it was the mod-punk of his first band the Jam or the pop leanings of the Style Council. But rather than reliving past glory, Weller spent the last year recording 22 Dreams, the most expansive and experimental album of his career. “I was conscious when I walked into the studio that I wanted to do something different. I didn’t want to make As Is Now Part 2,” Weller tells Rock Daily. “There was this mentality where it was like, ‘Let’s try anything that comes into your mind.’” Weller sequestered himself in his country studio, recruited some famous Britpop friends like Oasis‘ Noel Gallagher and Blur’s Graham Coxon and spent hours improvising with his band. The result was 22 Dreams, a genre-leapin